3 TBS Tahini
0.5-1 TBS Honey/Petemezi*/Agave/Maple syrup
1 TBS vinegar – Balsamic/Apple Cider
6 TBS olive oil
BLEND ALL THE ABOVE & ENJOY WITH SALAD
Optional extra: Sesame seeds and roasted nuts to sprinkle on top of the salad
*Petemezi is the Greek word for Grape Molasses
3 cups of rocket
1 avocado cubed
2 TBS pistachios
2 TBS blueberries
0.5 cup Olive Oil
0.25 cup White Wine Vinegar
2 TBS maple syrup/honey
1 TBS Water
0.25 tsp salt
pinch of pepper
1.Combine all dressing ingredients in a container and lightly shake until mixed.
2.Add cubes of avocado to dressing and swirl to coat well to prevent browning.
3.Assemble salad and drizzle dressing on top.
Edited version of: http://theminiaturemoose.com/avocado-pistachio-salad/
Olive oil for frying
5 medium potatoes
1 cup of sweetcorn (~350gr)
1 can of coconut milk (~400ml)
2-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
salt and pepper to taste
1. On medium heat fry the leeks, onions and potatoes for 10 minutes.
2. Add enough water to cover the potatoes and simmer until the potatoes are al dente
3. Add the sweetcorn and simmer until potatoes are soft.
4. At the end of the cooking time, add the coconut milk and crushed garlic.
5. Can be enjoyed ‘as is’ for chunky chowder or pureed for a velvety soup.
Half a white cabbage grated
1 small red cabbage grated
5 carrots grated
2-5 crushed garlic cloves
Juice of 2 lemons
10 TBS olive oil
1-1.5 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp salt
0.5 cup of Parsley
5 tsp instant yeast
1 cup warm water (add more if dough is dry)
1 cup white flour
1 cup brown flour
1 cup of oats
1 tsp salt
2 tsp brown sugar
0.5 cup warm water
2 TBS baking soda
Coarse sea salt
2 TBS oil (+ oregano-optional)
1. Combine 1 cup of warm water and yeast in a bowl. Let rest until bubbly.
2. Meanwhile, combine remaining dough ingredients in a bowl. Add water/yeast mixture and stir until combined (if dough is dry, add extra water 1 TBS at a time).
3. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth (about 5 minutes).
4. Transfer dough to an oiled baking tray. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
5. Divide dough into smaller pieces and let rest again for 5 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 170°C.
7. Combine warm water and baking soda in a shallow bowl. Stir until dissolved.
8. Roll each dough piece into a rope (Mine were about 70 cm, but if you like thicker pretzels, make shorter ropes) and shape into pretzels. To simplify roll into stick shapes.
9. Dip pretzels into the water/baking soda mixture and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle liberally with salt. Rest for 10 minutes.
10. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Take pretzels out of the oven and brush with oil (+oregano). Finished!
Edited from original: http://darthveganblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/07/mall-pretzels-vegan/
1-2 medium lemons
2 TBS whole tahini
4 TBS olive oil
2-4 garlic cloves
½ -1 tsp salt
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in water. Bring to the boil the next day in fresh water then simmer until tender*.
- While the chickpeas are cooking crush the garlic onto a little plate and leave it to sit for at least 5mins-this allows for maximum health benefits-and applies to onions too.
- Drain the chickpeas and keep some of the cooking fluid.
- Place all the ingredients in a mixer and blend well until smooth. Start with the minimal amounts when a choice is given. Taste and then add more. Toddlers and kids may like the hummus better with the lesser amounts of lemon/garlic/salt.
- Make the consistency slightly runnier than you would like by adding some of the reserved liquid. Once chilled it becames firmer
I add freshly crushed linseeds to most things I make since it is the richest plant source of omega-3 fats.
*for an even better taste…use Greek chickpea soup made the day before*
This hummus will keep for at least 3 days.
This amount would do for 4 people as a starter/dip.
My hubbie Panos helped me perfect this recipe 🙂
Ingredients for One Pot Pasta
500gr whole wheat spaghetti
3 cups (cherry) tomatoes chopped
3 red onions, thinly sliced: let sit 5 mins
5-10 cloves garlic crushed: let sit 5 mins
1 cup fresh basil
1.5 teaspoon dried oregano
6.5 cups of broth (or 6.5 cups of water+1tsp marmite)
Add fresh at end of cooking: 4 tablespoons olive oil
Method for Pasta
Place all of the pasta ingredients into a pot. The pasta must lie flat so if it is longer than your pot, simply break it in half.
After the pasta comes to a boil, simmer for 9-13 minutes uncovered.
Liquid should be absorbed but not completely. Add olive oil.