- 1.5 cups dried black beans soaked overnight
- 1 kilo sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- ½ kilo chopped tomatoes
- 4 onions chopped*
- 8 garlic cloves pressed*
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 TBS paprika
- 0.5 tsp chilli powder (more if your kids eat v.spicy)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked rice to accompany the chilli
*for maximum health benefits leave together on a plate for 5 mins after preparing and before cooking*
Fry onion and garlic in olive oil.
Stir tomatoes and black beans into the onion-garlic mixture. Add more water if mixture is too thick. Simmer until black beans are almost cooked then add in the sweet potatoes. Cook till sweet potatoes are al dente. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Accompany with rice.
p.s. this recipe has 3 super foods out of the most commonly cited 12!
Above is more kid-friendly and simpler version of original: