My daughter was watching a long artistic video one day when the host started munching on crackers then explained to her audience roughly how to make them. Ten minutes later Katie had made her mix and we popped it in the oven. Oh my! They are the most delicious crackers I have had!!! A big bravo to my little chef 😀 We eat them daily now and make a variety of versions.
The base of the crackers are oats which is great because they are such a healthy form of protein and 1 of the top 12 healthiest foods. Apart from the base you can add any mix of seeds/nuts you fancy. For fancy flavours add things like garlic, paprika,chilli etc.
If you like them sweet, dried fruit can be used and the salt/pepper omitted.
Below is a savoury version that we love:
1 cup oats
4 TBS sesame
4 TBS walnuts
4 TBS almonds
4 TBS cashews
4 TBS sunflower seeds
1.5 tsp salt
0.25 tsp pepper
1 cup of water
1 TBS oil
1. For fine crackers grind or chop the nuts first. For coarse crackers only lightly break any big pieces.
2. Mix nut/seed mix, salt, pepper and oil with the oats and the water.
3. Spread out on a big baking tray lined with baking paper (not necessary if the tray is non-stick)
4. Bake in the oven at 200C for 20-30 mins approx. Half way through take them out and cut into the shape/size you want. Return to oven for the other half of baking time.
5. For soft crackers remove them from the oven when the edge starts to brown. For crunchy wait till they are browned all over.
Sarah and Katie :>